Frequently Asked Questions

The Cordell Police Department does not operate a jail or detention facility. All persons arrested for crimes committed within our jurisdiction are taken to the Washita County Jail. The jail is operated by the Washita County Sheriff's Office. A jailer may be contacted via telephone at (580) 832-2370. Visiting hours and other means of contacting an inmate are bound to the policies of the jail and exceptions cannot be made by the Cordell Police Department.

Washita County Jail may be contacted 24/7 at (580) 832-2370.

The Cordell Police Department is able to dispatch an animal control officer during normal business hours of the city, Monday - Friday 09:00am - 05:00pm. Emergency exceptions apply. If you believe the situation is a threat to public health and/or safety (i.e. vicious dog, animal bites, etc.), contact us immediately. If you are unsure, call and speak with us to ensure proper action is taken.

The Municipal Court Clerk is responsible for all financial records pertaining to fines and bonds charged in Municipal Court. Your balance due, if you are on a payment plan or have already appeared in court, is kept in the records of the clerk. Police department personnel cannot access the financial records of the court at any time. You may contact the Municipal Court Clerk via telephone at (580) 832-2121.

Your court date is usually displayed on your copy of the citation, near the bottom. If, for any reason, you cannot read or do not have access to your citation, contact us for assistance. You may be requested to provide the citation or case number for reference. If you are unable to provide this, you must provide your name and approximate date of the incident. Please be aware that we cannot change your court date. If you wish to change your court date, you must contact the court clerk at (580) 832-2121. You may be required to leave a message so your call is returned.

If you are experiencing any problems with your electricity or water (after hours), that may be caused by the city infrastructure, call us. The Cordell Police Department is responsible for dispatching city employees while City Hall is closed. If your problem occurs during business hours, contact City Hall at (580) 832-3825.

Effective July 1st, 2016, the lobby hours are:

M - F
8:00AM - 10:00PM

Sat & Sun
10:00AM - 10:00PM

Closures may be enacted due to holidays and employee leave.

24/7 assistance will be provided by calling our office. Our phones will be forwarded to the Washita County Sheriff's Office when our dispatchers are unavailable.

The city curfew for anyone under the age of 18 is:
Sunday - Thursday 11:00pm - 6:00am
Friday & Saturday 12:00 Midnight- 6:00am

Exceptions are:
-Unless accompanied by a parent/guardian
-When activity is related to church, work, or school
-Unless minor is exercising First Amendment rights protected by the Constitution

NOTE: Curfew is in effect year-round.

Yes. After being inspected by a member of the police department and obtaining a registration and permit, a properly equipped golf cart may be used on city streets. There are several regulations which must be followed. Visit to review the City of New Cordell ordinances.

Yes. The Cordell Police Department maintains control over accounts on Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter. Due to the ease of creating a fake account and providing false representation, we constantly monitor these sites checking for false accounts. If you are aware of any site falsely representing the Cordell Police Department, please let us know.

Our official accounts can be found by clicking the thumbnail links in the top right corner of our web page. Also, by following the links below.