Independence Day 2014
We would like to remind everyone as they set out for the holiday weekend that no use of fireworks will be allowed within the city limits of Cordell. Any person who causes a firework to be discharged will face fines and possible imprisonment. Any person who throws active fireworks from a motor vehicle may face felony charges.
Please report any use of fireworks inside city limits to us immediately. While we have seen a better share of rain this year, sparking fires with fireworks remains likely.
It is always a violation of law to use fireworks within city limits unless it is authorized by the city council or mayor for displays in city parks. This year, we will be opening the Gregory Sports Complex (airport) for personal fireworks displays. However, there are a few rules:
- No vehicles, with the exception of emergency vehicles, will be allowed into the display zone. Parking areas will be available in the East section of the lot.
- No alcohol is permitted. This includes low-point beer.
- Discharging, throwing, or any type of launching of any type of firework at another person is prohibited.
- All persons under the age of eighteen (18) must be accompanied by an adult.
- Rockets and artillery shells must launch from a stable platform and platforms must be staged away from any crowds.
- Trash must be properly disposed.
Violations of any rules will result in, at minimum, the violator being asked to leave.
We expect this to be a fun holiday. Please keep in mind the safety of yourself and others and enjoy your celebration.